Domus Internationalis Paulus VI, was erected as a Foundation by the
Servant of God, John Paul II, on 6 January 1999. The purpose of the
Domus is to offer hospitality to clergy who are assigned to the diplomatic
service of the Holy See or who are officials of the Roman Curia. Cardinals,
Bishops and Priests who journey to Rome to visit the Holy Father or
who participate in the various apostolic works of the Holy See are
also welcome guests at the Domus.
History of the Palazzo
original structure of this grand complex was constructed in the 15th
century. In 1573 the Palazzo was established as the chair of the Germanic
College, founded by Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556) and approved
by Pope Julius III in 1552. In 1580, Pope Gregory XIII united the
College with the Hungarian Institute, which he had founded, thus establishing
the Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum, which was entrusted to the
care of the Jesuits. In 1634, the original building was demolished
and a new edifice was constructed under the direction of the Italian
Baroque architect, Paolo Marucelli (1596-1649). The façade
of the Palazzo looked onto the Via S. Agostino and was joined to the
Palazzo Apollinare by an archway above the street. Following construction
on the nearby Palazzo of San Luigi dei Francesi, another section of
the Palazzo was demolished. This allowed for a new design and consequent
expansion of the building with the new façade on the Via della
Scrofa. These latter works were carried out in 1776 under the direction
of the Roman Architect, Pietro Camporese il Vecchio (1726-1781) and
Pasquale Belli (1752-1833). In sum, the external limits of the renovated
Palazzo would be defined within the boundaries of the Via S. Agostino,
Via della Scrofa, Via di S. Giovanna d'Arco and the Piazza delle Cinque
Lune. The connecting archway above the Via S. Agostino was retained.
In July 1773, the Society of Jesus was suppressed and the College
was subsequently placed under the care of diocesan clergy until 1789,
at which time it was closed and transferred to Ferrara (Emilia-Romagna).
The Palazzo then became the seat of the Vicariate of Rome. During
the Pontificate of Leo XII (1823-1829), it became the residence for
the Vicar of Rome, Cardinal Placido Zurla (1769-1834). Cardinal Giuseppe
Della Porta Rodiani (1773-1841) also resided at the Palazzo as Vicar
for Rome from 1838 until his death in 1841.
During the Pontificate of Pius IX (1846-1878), the building was again
enlarged, this time by adding extra floors. The work was carried out
under the direction of the Architect Antonio Sarti (1797-1880). The
newly extended Palazzo was destined to become the home of the Seminario
Pio, and in this form it would remain basically unchanged until 1933,
when the façade on the Piazza delle Cinque Lune was demolished
and reconstructed along the line of the newly expanded Corso del Rinascimento.
Today, this beautiful Palazzo is the residence of the Domus Internationalis
Paulus VI and the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music.